Bersham Church is also known as St Mary's Plas Power Private Chapel. It is administered by a Trust and is believed to be the last remaining private Chapel in Wales still holding regular services. It is now part of the Wrexham Deanery, which is the Diocese of St Asaph.
The church was founded and built by Thomas Lloyd FitzHugh in 1875. His wife Emily Mary from Charlecote in Warwickshire took a great interest in the building and is the reason why the architect and organ builder were both from that county. It was originally built without a bell tower; however, one was added some years later. When Captain Godfrey FitzHugh was killed on active service in Palestine in 1917 his widow Ethel had the bells installed in his memory.They consist of a carillon of eight bells operated by hand and are still in use today.
The organ is a very fine three manual instrument, which is far better than is usually found in village churches and was built by H. Ewins from Stratford-upon-Avon. The original wind action was converted to electricity in 1965 and the entire organ was overhauled in 1990.
In early 2008 the bells were removed, taken back to the foundry, overhauled and re-hung.
In the Autumn of 2008 a new lighting system was installed which enhances the architectural features inside the Church, highlighting the different colours and materials used in the construction.
Following a successful application to the Heritage Lottery Fund and CADW, together with local fundraising and other charity donations, work was carried out over the winter of 2008/9 to replace the original zinc roof with a new one, replace all the gutters and down-spouts and install a new drainage system. This should ensure the fabric of the Church for future generations.